Happy New Year everyone!!
It’s 2020 and for some of us it’s an amazing fact. The fact that it is 2020, that the clock’s still ticking and we are still here. Growing up I remember hearing the expression “if the Lord tarries” as a response to plans people would declare having for the immediate future.
If the Lord tarries. If the Lord delays His return. If we are still here tomorrow. Jesus said clearly that no man knows the day or the hour (of His return) and added that not even The Son of Man (Himself) but only The Father – Mark 13:32 In light of this truth I will not be as foolish as some have to declare a date for the Lord’s return but I will look into some of the clues Jesus gave us as to what events will precede His return.
In Mark Chapter 13 Jesus gives a cautionary look at the events leading up to what has come to be called the End Times. Wars and rumors of war, earthquakes, diseases, famine, are listed as just the start of the troubles but not the end. Let’s consider that for a moment. The great wars that this earth has seen along with the natural disasters and famine and troubles are, according to our Lord, just the start of sorrows. Just the beginning!! Taken at face value one can suppose that things will get worse rather than better as time goes on.
In verses 14 through 20 Jesus goes on to describe an event of such shocking magnitude that He advises those who witness it to flee without taking the time to gather belongings – just run!! Again, I will not foolishly attempt to state what this event is. Many others have and you can google it. My focus here is to highlight the warning with their signs and wonders as told by our Lord.
A quick summery of the warnings given by Jesus as recorded in Mark 13 are
- Take heed that no man deceives you! Guard your hearts and your heads. The psalmist wrote – Thy Word I have hid me my heart that I might not sin against thee. Ps. 119:11 Hiding Gods word in our hearts through reading and study of His word will protect us against deception. Deception, apparently, will be a part of the End Times.
- False Jesus’s or Prophets will deceive many.
- War and rumors of war are not the end and we should not be troubled by them because they have to take place. But the end is not yet.
- There will be earthquakes and famines and troubles in many different places but these still are only the beginnings of sorrows – not the end.
- Christian persecution will increase to the point that family members will turn on each other even to the point of death.
- The Gospel (The Good News Of Jesus) will be preached to the whole world.
- The fulfillment of a prophecy given by Daniel will be a shocking event which should cause those who witness it to flee very quickly.
- Tribulations of such great and unprecedented proportions will take place and without Divine Intervention no one will survive.
- Many will say that the Lord has arrived and is here or there but do not be deceived because His return will be seen and known by all.
- When He returns the sun will darkened and the moon will not give its light and the very stars in the sky will fall. Jesus will appear in the clouds with great power and glory and with His angels. All will see and know it is Jesus.
- Jesus tells us a parable ( a story or a metaphor to make a point) about the fig tree. He often used agriculture as a way of getting a point across. Here he reminds the listener of how when you see the branches become tender and sprout leaves you now that summer is close at hand. Likewise, when these events take place we should know that the end is near.
- The generation that does see these things happen will not pass away until all things be fulfilled.
- No one knows the day or the hour – THIS BEARS REPEATING! NO ONE KNOWS!! So when a preacher or televangelist or a new caster or politician or whomever say that they have decoded the Bible and can give you a date, be certain they know nothing because Jesus Himself said that no on knows – no – not even Jesus!!
- Take heed, watch and pray! Be alert and ready because we do not know when that day will be. All we can be certain of is it wasn’t yesterday or the day before and it hasn’t been today, so far! But it will come and we alone are responsible for being ready.
There are many who believe that parts of the Bible are poetic or allegorical and as such can not be taken at face value or even given consideration as relevant to our day to day life. They say that these passages regarding any future prophetic events are fictional writings or not pertaining to events on earth, past, present or future. These people, along with all other non-believers and mockers use their sudo-intellectual theories as a shield against their fear that if they don’t discredit the Word of God they might just have to look at themselves in the mirror of His Words.
There are a great many things I do not know or understand in this world of 2020 but what I do believe to be true is that Jesus Himself is watching many of us with a heavy heart and asking His Father today as He did some 2000 years ago……
FATHER FORGIVE THEM FOR THEY KNOW NOT WHAT THEY DO!
Happy New Year!! 2020 is here and there is still time to repent and be saved because the clock is still ticking……..for now!
Be Blessed A&B